Evangeline...

    follow @ Twitter

    Tuesday, May 10, 2011

    Arts, Crafts, and Other Mysteries of the Universe

    There are two kinds of women in this country. Those who took Home Ec in high school. And those who couldn’t fit it into their busy flirting schedule.

    For those of us in the dubious second category, adulthood brings certain challenges. Things like lost buttons, ripped seams, high-altitude baking, and school play costume requirements send us into a panic.

    But perhaps the worst part of being domestically challenged is the blatant lack of crafting skills. While our industrious sisters scrapbook memories, stencil walls, and sew everything from quilts to purses made out of jeans, we reformed flirts struggle to make a model of a popsicle stick out of . . . a popsicle stick.

    Thankfully, our wiser and more accomplished peers have developed a plan to rescue us from our own silliness.

    The Craft Fair!

    At these wonderful events it is possible to buy a homemade craft, take it home, and after removing the price tag, PRETEND you made it. Genius, I know.

    If you cower at the sight of a glue gun and reach for band-aids along with a needle and thread, then join me at the Rocky Mountain Calvary Craft Sale this weekend. Mom and I will be signing books, and I’ll be shopping for homemade items to make my book club think I’m cool and convince my mother-in-law that her son didn’t marry a ninny. (Disclaimer: My MIL is pretty cool. I don’t think she holds my crafting disability against me.)

    We hope to see you there. I’ll be the one looking awed and slightly befuddled.

    3 comments:

    Linda B said...

    Whereas I, who failed miserably at flirting, like to hang out at craft shows to steal other people's ideas. It's so much cheaper to make stuff myself . . .

    Beth K. Vogt said...

    I am a craft-challenged consumer. I cannot sew, knit, tole paint or do anything crafty. But I can spend money. Crafters love me. (I am now married. I no longer flirt, except with my husband.)

    Debbie Maxwell Allen said...

    Wow--I'll be at a wedding at that church on Saturday. Maybe I'll see you!

    ~Debbie