Evangeline...

    follow @ Twitter

    Tuesday, September 20, 2011

    Creative Frustrations

    Tomorrow I leave for the American Christian Fiction Writers conference in St. Louis. I’ll be talking with editors and agents, presenting my work, and hoping, always hoping, to get one step closer to publishing a novel.

    It seems my son is in the same boat.


    Yesterday, Chunky ran out of school waving a stack of papers. He couldn’t wait to tell me about it, so he started yelling the minute he saw me across the school lawn.

    “MOMMY, I WROTE A MONSTER BOOK!”

    He jabbered on about it as we walked to the car, ran a couple errands, and then drove home. Once in the house, he set to work adding pages to his book. What once was The 4 Page Monster Book became The 7 Page Monster Fun Book.

    Finally I had a minute to sit down and go through each wonderfully illustrated page with him. He was so proud. With good reason. The 7 Page Monster Fun Book is a masterpiece!


    But then we hit a snag. Chunky wanted to print a copy of his book for each of his classmates because, and I quote, “I want to be nice to them, and I want them to think I’m a nice kid.”

    But our printer isn’t working right, and, let’s face it, 25 color copies won’t be cheap.

    He fussed and fumed about his frustration until Kory came home from work. The minute his dad walked through the door, Chunky assailed him with his dilemma.

    “I wrote a book and our printer doesn’t work! And I want to make one for every kid in my class. I want them to like me. But our printer puts a black line through everything, and if it puts a line through the Domo monster, he’ll just be Do!”


    Kory looked to me for an explanation.

    I shrugged and said, “He wrote a book. He needs a publisher.”

    Kory laughed but kindly and wisely didn’t draw any comparisons between his whiney 7-year-old and his career-frustrated wife.

    I’m thinking maybe I should take Chunky’s approach at the conference. I’ll just start yelling across the hotel lobby or conference room about my creative masterpiece the minute I see anyone who can help me reach my goal. And I won’t take “no” for an answer. After all, I want to be nice to people, and I think giving them something fun to read is a nice thing to do. And I want them to think I’m nice too (translation: a good author.)

    Too bad I’m not an adorable 7-year-old with a fresh literary voice and kid-approved illustrations.

    1 comment:

    Gina Conroy said...

    Too fun, and oh, now I have mommy guilt as my daughter's book sits almost typed up on my desk...just a few more pages I need to get to, then take to kinkos and print off and bind for her party favors for four girls. Did I mention her birthday was last May?