Evangeline...

    follow @ Twitter

    Monday, December 20, 2010

    Holiday Misfires

    So, like every other mother in America, I’ve spent the last couple of weeks running around like an elf on Ritalin. Now the kids are out of school and we’ve all got the sniffles, but things are finally starting to slow down. I thought I’d share some Christmas funnies in the off chance that you have a slow moment to read this week.

    We'll start with children and gifts. I think Chunky has written a dozen letters to Santa asking for things like a billion dollars and to be turned into a dragon. He has us scratching our heads. Even Santa was a little baffled when Chunky sat on his lap and asked for, of all things, a lava lamp.

    Monkey is a little more straight forward. In fact, subtlety escapes him entirely. A few weeks ago he came up from downstairs with a wrapped gift. He showed it to me and said, “Mommy, this is for you, but you can’t open it until Christmas, and I’m not going to tell you what it is.” Chunky wanted in on the secret, so Monkey went over to tell him. Monkey got right up next to his brother’s ear, started whispering then looked over his shoulder at me. “Mom, what are those things you wear in your ears called?”

    Without blinking, I said, “Earrings.”

    I did blink, however, when I saw these in a store recently.


    I’m not going to tell you what store because I love the place and consider this to be an error in judgment best left to the ghost of Christmas past. I have to wonder what Mary would have to say about this pink sparkly representation of her. After all these years in blue and white, maybe she’d appreciate a little bling.

    Speaking of Mary, I’d like to write a letter to the folks who made my nativity set.

    Dear Manufacturers of Porcelain Nativity,

    Why have you left Joseph out? Every year when I unpack my set, I wonder if one of the FOUR wise men is supposed to be Joseph, but since they’re all holding a gift—gold, frankincense, myrrh, and fruitcake?—I figure they have to be the magi.

    Then there’s the shepherd carrying his sheep. Clearly, he’s not Joseph.

    The camel and the donkey are a nice touch, but still I think you could’ve left one of them out in favor of Mary’s husband. I know, biologically speaking, Joseph wasn’t necessary, but having given birth myself, I can state with certainty that it’s nice to have a man to yell at. I think Mary was glad he was there, and I’d be glad if the arrangement on my hutch was a little more balanced.

    If you ever make a Joseph, please let me know. Unless, of course, he looks like this.


    Sincerely,
    Evangeline Denmark

    If you have a Christmas funny to share, please leave a comment. With all the stress and rush of the season, it helps to share a little merry.

    1 comment:

    crownring said...

    Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and yours, Evangeline!

    As for the store that shall not be named, those glittery depictions of the Nativity also gave me considerable pause when I saw them, so you are not alone. Not to mention the glitzy artificial trees in shocking pink, purple, and black! I'd ask "What will they think of next?", but I'm afraid to find out!

    As for the missing Joseph, I'm guessing the figure holding the fruitcake is he. Odd, but then what would life be without its oddities? My sister had me set up the Nativity set at her house and along with the camel, cow, and sheep, was a white chicken. The chicken wasn't a part of the original set, but it was a sweet and somewhat humorous addition anyway.

    Blessings to you and your family!