Evangeline...

    follow @ Twitter

    Wednesday, June 29, 2011

    It's Harder Than It Looks

    With the exception of housework, I don’t like to leave things undone. So much so, in fact, that when I’m singing a song and I can’t remember the words I will finish it by saying, “The rest of the song.” My husband finds this hilarious and will wait for me to hum myself into a corner and be forced to sing something like, “la, la, la, yeah…the rest of the song.”

    Right now I’m just about out of my mind because I’m nearly done with the novel I’ve been working on for a year and a half. But it’s summer, the kids are home. They are so home. So very, very home. Help! Somebody save me! They’re HOME!

    I try all day to keep them busy, entertained, and not killing each other. Bedtime comes late. I wish I had the energy to write once they’ve finally gone to sleep, but instead I end up slouched on the sofa, watching Mr. Bean and thanking God that I made it through another day. And hoping my ADHD kiddo doesn’t grow up to BE Mr. Bean.



    Even though I’m not getting a lot of writing done, my Work In Progress is on my mind all the time. Kory is forced to live in whatever story world I’m working on and has become accustomed to me rattling on about fictional characters and problems. Sometimes he listens and gives me great feedback. Sometimes he nods and says, “Uh, huh.”

    The other day I was rambling about a plot problem, just thinking out loud while he relaxed on the sofa—probably wishing for some peace and quiet. I finally figured out how I was going to cause the disaster I needed to precipitate the book’s climax. I must’ve stopped babbling abruptly because Kory looked up from his position on the couch, quirked a brow at me and said, “The rest of the book?”

    Exactly. I wish it were that easy!

    5 comments:

    Kay Day said...

    Amen!
    This brought a grin.

    Linda B said...

    You can imagine what it's like at my house. And July is my "writing" month! I'm madly trying to finish my WIP so I'll be ready to start my new story July 1st. I figure I can do it if I don't eat or sleep or talk to my family until Friday.

    Beth K. Vogt said...

    Does Kory ever suggest aliens? That's what Rob does when I'm stuck and don't know where to go with my work in progress.

    Debbie Maxwell Allen said...

    Too funny! I use my four teenagers to help me with plot issues--but right now they're all off at work.

    This, too, shall pass!

    ~Debbie

    Jeanne Takenaka said...

    Evangeline, how fun your husband is. As are you. I love how you've rubbed off on him. The example gave me a giggle at the end of my totally exhausting kid-filled day. So glad you're almost done! How exciting!